Friday, February 6, 2009

Don't Waste the Pretty!


So I am about to go see He is just not that into you and I have almost never been more excited ( except for maybe twilight and high school musical 3 [ those pesky double X chromosomes]). In high school this book was my bible. I read it daily and I took its wisdom and applied it to my every day life. Every woman who reads it is struck with a sudden understanding....

That not man ever in her whole life... has really been into her.

This movie I think applies a lot to what we have been talking about in class and I know that the teacher even mention that we could do an extra credit write up on it (which I plan to do after I have actually seen the movie), but as for now I am here to talk about the book. The premise is a man telling you all the reasons the guy you are seeing doesn't actually like you and that unless he is doing literally every thing a man should be then it isn't good enough.

I think that it puts unrealistic expectations for men and women. After reading this book men have a whole new obstacle to overcome. He has to live to a tee what the books says or he will be cast out as a man who isn't into the woman he is dating.

Women on the other hand have to suffer through the pain of being told that they are beautiful and a "superfox" and advised to "not waste the pretty", but still have the complex of the princess waiting for the prince. The author advises that a woman not pursue a man to ensure to find out if they are into them. In doing so women just have to rely on their womenly charms and sex appeal to bag themselves a man.

Overall, I am excited to see how they show this in a movie. The usual chick flick the guy always gets the girl, the girl always get a hot make over and everyone ends up together. In movies like this you get to see a different perspective.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting points made. I think in todays society, it's how you look and not how you are. Sad thing is, I don't think this is going to change anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete